Are some breeds better at tricks than others?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 13, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about this. Is it the dog that learns tricks more easily than other dogs? Is it the breed that makes a dog more prone to be good at tricks?

My Lab could do the basic tricks. She had a heck of a time with beg though. Poor thing could not keep her balance. She could balance a treat on her nose. Beyond that, she didn't really learn many other tricks.

My Jack Russell learns tricks easily. She could do sit, lay, stay, and wait early on. Then, she added shake, give me five, and tip toes (walking on her back paws only).

I've been able to turn some of her goofy behavior into tricks. For instance, I noticed one day that she was hitting my nephew's hands with her paws. She would stand on two legs, then jump up and hit him. I turned this into "high five". She does it on command.

She's very talkative, too. I decided to teach her to ask for dinner. She has to make a certain loud sound before I will get it for her. It took several months before she could do it on command. Now sometimes she tries to trick me into feeding her by asking when it's not time. LOL

So, what do you think? Are some dog breeds better at learning tricks? Or, are some dogs better at doing them? Is your dog good at learning new tricks?

Melody, May 13, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

It is said that there are breeds that are smarter than the other dog breeds.
    But I personally think that it depends more on the trainer's determination and capabilities. And I think it is also important to teach a dog tricks the earliest possible.

zararina, May 13, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

There are dogs who learn trick faster. This is true. The Border Collie is on top of the list. When it comes to the ability for dogs to follow their owner's request, the Border Collie was deemed the smartest dog to do so.

Surprisingly, even though I've also thought that Jack Russel Terriers should be on the top of that list, they aren't. But then JRTs are independent that they can please themselves when they are bored. Peanuts, my half JRT half Min-Pin dog, learns tricks fast as well.

However, I am more surprised at another dog of mine (who's considered a street mutt). She learns tricks well, especially when she wants treats badly.

haopee, May 14, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, my JRT is independent. One thing I've noticed, though, is she loves to please. That may be one reason she picks up tricks so quickly. Of course, there are times when I asks her to do something like "come" and she stares me down then sits in defiance. She does have a mind of her own.

Zararina, you have a point about the trainer's persistence and abilities. If you are inconsistent with commands or train one day and then don't try again for a week, your dog probably isn't going to get the hang of things.

I have noticed that dogs pick up really quick who is serious and who is a pushover. Misha does what I say for the most part, but she doesn't mind my Mom. She knows that Grandma is a sucker and can ignore what she says. They are very good at reading us.

Melody, May 14, 2012
Ask a Question