Are retractable leashes safe?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 29, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't use a retractable leash, but I often see people walking their dogs with them. Usually, the dog is way out in front or off to the side while the owner is in their own world. Sometimes the dog is wandering around while the person chats on their phone.

I sometimes wonder if an owner who uses a retractable leash can respond quickly enough if there is danger like a stray dog approaching. I wonder if unlocking the leash and bringing the dog back quickly can hurt them.

What do you think? Are these leashes safe for every day use?

Melody, May 29, 2012
  2. Melody

Ja'cobeC Member

I seem the same also, I wouldn't use on my dog at all. It's not my type of item to use on my dog because of the stuff I seem while others used it.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Retractable leashes are definitely not for dogs who are unable to immediately follow verbal cues. As you've mentioned it looks unsafe. And if anything happens at the spur of the moment, the owner may not be able to reach the dog in time.

The six foot leash is easier to control, especially if you're the type who has an overly active doggy. It makes ideal leash walking easier- meaning the dog is supposed to be at the back or at the side rather than pulling his owner.

haopee, May 31, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think better to use the common leash or the non retractable one. It is safer for me specially for hyper dogs and I think it is safer for dogs too. ;)

zararina, Jun 1, 2012
  5. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

NO! Not only can you not always control if your dog might runin front of traffic or be approached by a strange dog, but they are not safe to the dog's neck. The leashes are so long that a dog can really get running and then SNAP the leash grabs and the dog is hurt. THe trainer we work with says he saw a woman break her dogs neck using a retractable leash.

Now of course, you know your dog, if you KNOW they listen and know they won't run and won't be in danger then a retractable leash may be ok to give him some more roaming room, but you have to be careful.

MakingCents, Jun 2, 2012
  6. Melody

inTHEsane Active Member

I think the worst part about retractable leashes is the fact that most people who get them and then use them, become way to comfortable with them. It's like since your dog is on a leash you have that false security, leaving you more likely to not pay as much attention as you should. No matter whether or not the dog is 18 feet from your or 6 feet, you should still be paying as much attention at all times, if not more when they are 18 feet away from you. To me things like that or extra leads are a luxury for you to treat your dog with rather then treat yourself with lazy or irresponsible dog care.

inTHEsane, Jun 3, 2012
  7. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

They definitely have their perks and disadvantages. While I do like having them, I also know -how- to use them and when to keep things reeled in, etc. Because of it, I really like the convenience of being able to let him run out ahead and explore when no one is around, but keep him close when there's danger.

Jessi, Jun 9, 2012
Ask a Question