An Appropriate name for this rather large dog, Hercules!

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by SweetBeast, Dec 30, 2012.

1. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I wonder what his actual weight is as they failed to include it, but he is one large bundle of joy ! When you see the other dog, it puts this dogs weight into perspective. I also am curious what their food bill is for him?

SweetBeast, Dec 30, 2012
  2. SweetBeast

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh my, he looks like a bear, he is enormous, so much bigger than this man. I would be scared of a dog like this. It's a great responsibility to train a dog who is so big because he could be dangerous. When my Homer is trying to bite me, I can only laugh. With this dog it would be different.

claudine, Dec 30, 2012
  3. SweetBeast

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Sad to see Hercules only lived for ten years.:(

Yes it would be a handful to own such a large dog.The food bill would be enormous. I'm sure like most dogs he was adorable but I'ld say he wouldn't know his own strength at times.
    A good name Hercules.

argon_0, Dec 31, 2012
  4. SweetBeast

I heard big dogs always live shorter lives than small dogs. I wonder why. Some animals - elephants for example - are big and live for so long.

claudine, Dec 31, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. SweetBeast

That's a good point. Though maybe dogs have been bred and the organs have not matched for the size of a large dog?:confused:

argon_0, Jan 1, 2013
  6. SweetBeast

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a dog, he was huge. I guess Hercules was an appropriate name for him. Sad that he did only live ten years though, wonder if it did have to do with his size. You don't see too many dogs that big. I remember once seeing a Greyhound in my neighborhood who was so tall he was almost the size of a horse, and I thought that was huge, but even this dog didn't compare to Hercules.

pafjlh, Jan 2, 2013
  7. SweetBeast

argon_0, Jan 3, 2013
  8. SweetBeast

Jessi Well-Known Member

Judging by how long dogs tend to live, that really doesn't seem that short. Even looking at the link that argon posted, most seem to live between 10 and 15 in general. Hercules surely had a pretty decent life and didn't really die that young. :)

Jessi, Jan 3, 2013
  9. SweetBeast

Homer is 40 according to this calculator. If he is, then why does he still act like a child? lol:p

claudine, Jan 3, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  10. SweetBeast

Mishka's 56 and she is still very agile with no signs of arthritis as the vet predicted when she had a back leg dislocate some years back.

She sitting next to me on this hot summers day. Boy it's gunna get to 40C/104F.:eek:

argon_0, Jan 4, 2013
  11. SweetBeast

It's good to hear Mishka is healthy:)

I'm so jealous!!!:D We have 6 degree Celsius here and it's way too cold for me. Homer insists on spending most of the day in the garden, I'm afraid he'll catch a cold:(

claudine, Jan 4, 2013
  12. SweetBeast

6 degrees is a bit chilly. It got to 40C here yesterday. One of my chickens looks worse for wear from the extreme heat and may not survive.
    Homer should be alright as long as he doesn't stay wet for too long.
    Do you have much of a garden for him to dig up?:rolleyes:
    Do you go outside with him or just watch from the window?:)

argon_0, Jan 5, 2013
  13. SweetBeast

We have a big garden and he runs wherever he wants, there is a fence so he is safe and I don't have to watch him. I just check from time to time to see if everything is okay. The problem is he wants to sit on the rocks and rocks are so cold! But when he sits there, he can see whole street so it's his favourite place:(
    Poor chicken, I hope it'll survive! How is Mishka today? Is it still so hot?

claudine, Jan 5, 2013
  14. SweetBeast

shdws Well-Known Member

That is a very interesting chart. I was surprised to see that at the 1 year mark of a dog's life he is equivalent to a 15 year old human. It's also interesting how for the first 5 years all dogs age the same. After the 6th year you can see how larger breeds age much quicker.

shdws, Jan 9, 2013
Ask a Question