Allowed on the furniture?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Do you allow your dogs on the furniture? Are there specific rules in place or some pieces they can and can't? Like are they allowed on the couch or chairs, but they're not allowed in your bed?

Jessi, Mar 27, 2012
  2. Jessi

Mimij Member

My girls are allowed on the furniture. They used to be allowed in the bed. Last year when we moved I put a stop to that! I got tired of dog hair in between the sheets and my oldest got to the point where she didn't want us to move our feet.. She would actually growl and snap at our feet during the night. If they can jump on the chair or other furniture I will let them stay. It's funny, every time my hubby and I get a chance to sit together on the sofa, my oldest minpin will do everything she can to get between us!

Mimij, Mar 28, 2012
  3. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, they are allowed in the furniture except in my bed. I do have wooden furniture so it was just okay and they would not leave too much furs on it.
    The only one I cannot stop sleeping in my bed is our cat. Even I shooed him off my bed several times, I will still wake up with him on top of my blanket. :p

zararina, Mar 28, 2012
  4. Jessi

Amanda Brown Member

I never let any of the animals on the furniture. We have a brand new sectional couch and I just want to keep it nice and it seems like when animals are allowed on the furniture it just gets gross and smelly. I am very particular about my bed and I do not allow animals on the bed either. I guess its just personal preference and I tend to be a clean freak.

Amanda Brown, Mar 28, 2012
  5. Jessi

Hysssss-teria Member

Oh, absolutely yes -- Toby has earned it.

But Toby is getting old and we live in a very cold climate. While we do have heat, it can be very cold on the floor and it hurts his poor old bones. So we have no problem with him getting on the couch or bed -- he’s too big to get into any of the chairs!

Sometimes Toby is so achy that he has trouble getting his 150-pounds up onto the couch or bed. When that happens, we help him. And yes -- I like having him on the bed. My husband leaves the house at 3:00 in the morning, and Toby is a big comfort to me. Since Hubby keeps the bedroom so cold, Toby’s my warmer, too!

He’s way too heavy for me to attempt to help him up the stairs to our bedroom when he’s hurting, though. When he can’t handle that, I just sleep downstairs so he won‘t be alone. Sometimes Toby and I can work things out on the couch, but he is huge. I always make a bed out of a thick mat and soft blanket right next to the couch, just in case he needs it.

Hysssss-teria, Mar 28, 2012
  6. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Our dog is allowed on the furniture, because really how are we going to keep him off when we aren't home. Our rule is, he can lay on any empty piece of furniture that he wants. If the furniture is occupied by a person he needs to be 'invited' up.

MakingCents, Mar 29, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No restrictions for my dogs. My bed is always the first place I take new puppies. Just a couple of weeks of sleeping with me. Usually as they grow up, they graduate to sleeping under my bed. On their own accord.

Victor Leigh, Mar 29, 2012
  8. Jessi

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

My dogs are allowed on certain pieces of furniture. The pieces where we entertain company, the couch and loveseat in the second living area are off limits, and the beds are also off limits, everything else is free game. LOL I have dogs pillows all over the house for all the animals to sleep on.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 29, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

SheWolf, how did you train them to know not to get up on all those various pieces of furniture....but that they can get on the others? Is there any sort of distinction or did you use deterrents of some sort?

Jessi, Mar 30, 2012
  10. Jessi

And the dogs sleep on the pillows allocated to them? That would be great. I know for sure that mine would make short work of the ones allocated to them and sleep on mine.

Victor Leigh, Mar 31, 2012
  11. Jessi

Well, I had a problem at first with our newest addition Babygirl. She chewed up about 100 dollars worth of dog beds! She doesn't do it anymore so I guess maybe what ever issues she had with dog beds are not relevant anymore. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Mar 31, 2012
  12. Jessi

Just the same squirt bottle I use to train the cats. Or sometimes when they jumped up on them I would put them down and tell them no in a firm voice. After a while they just figured out that those were off limits.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 31, 2012
  13. Jessi

tamlet New Member

i let my dog on all my furniture ....he likes to sleep alot

tamlet, Mar 31, 2012
  14. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

If that happens again look into the beds made by Kong. My dog destroyed the first 2 beds we bought him to go in his pen with him. We bought the kong bed and try as he might he couldn't destroy it. He destroyed the pen but the bed still stands today!

MakingCents, Mar 31, 2012
  15. Jessi

You can actually save money on all those dogs bed. Just throw some of your used clothes into a basket. Most dogs would love to sleep on your used clothes if they can't sleep with you. Hmm, I think some women do that, too.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  16. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

My dog would be happy with that, but I'm afraid the cats monopolize any clothing/laundry anywhere, so he'd never get the chance, even if I put it out specifically for him.

Lmao! It's true...

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  17. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

At my mom's house the dogs are allowed on any furniture with no rules whatsoever. But when I have a dog at a place of my own, I am definitely going to enforce the no furniture rule. I will purchase the dog a very nice, comfy dog bed and that should be just as comfortable, if not, then more because it was made for a dog. I dislike when I sit on a couch and then get up covered in dog hair.

dkramarczyk, Apr 2, 2012
  18. Jessi

Well, not my cats. My cats specialize in freshly washed clothes. If the clothes are freshly ironed, so much the better. One thing different about cats and dogs as compared to women is that the four-legged pets are very much more consistent. With the two-legged kind, the chances of the clothes being cherished and thrown out with the rubbish are about even.

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  19. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

I was considering switching to rattan chairs and couches but then it would probably cost a little more. Peanuts does love her couch, but she isn't allowed on the bed.

The moment she was able to get up the bed, I immediately got a hold of her collar and put her back down. It took me two tries until she understood that the bed was off limits. Besides, she has doggy pillows which are way softer than the ones I use on my head.

And it's so true that dogs do love clothes with their owner's scent. Dogs recovering in animal clinics are seldom brought used shirts or clothing that have their owner's scent to make them feel more comfortable in such foreign place.

haopee, Apr 2, 2012
  20. Jessi

This is very good to know! If it happens again I will definitely check them out!

SheWolfSilver, Apr 5, 2012
Ask a Question