Allowed in the kitchen?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Are your dogs allowed in the kitchen? Do you kick them out when you're cooking, for example, or are they always under your feet instead? Do they end up begging and do you indulge them sometimes, or do you have strict rules against them being around the food?

Jessi, Jul 7, 2012
  2. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

My dog is in the kitchen on the ground. I don't pick her up or touch her when I'm cooking or preparing meals. She knows if she is good there might be a baby carrot in her future.

She's usually pretty good about staying on the rug in the kitchen or she waits just around the corner by the table until she knows the food is done. There are certain times where she gets overly excited. Any time peanut butter is brought into the situation she'll jump up and down and hit you on the back of your legs.

I have my sister's dog for the night. She is a 70 lb. German Shepherd mix. She gets underfoot all the time. She likes to stand behind you in your blind spot. There have been numerous times that I have almost toppled over the top of her.

Melody, Jul 7, 2012
  3. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is often in the kitchen when I cook. Sometimes I can put up with it but other times I ask her to move.The cooking area floor space would only be 5 foot by 10 foot. She likes hanging out next to the wood-fired cooking stove and I am always so careful pots are safely placed on the stove top.She does wait for thos titbits in hit the deck.

argon_0, Jul 8, 2012
  4. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs are allowed in the kitchen and most of the time they stay near on us or whoever is preparing the food. We just do not play with them, touch them or carry them when preparing/cooking foods.

zararina, Jul 8, 2012
  5. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Chooey loves sleeping in the kitchen because the bathroom is beside it which means the air is cooler there.

When I cook they don't jump at me or beg, which is a good thing. Chooey or Peanuts will always sleep in the corner while waiting. They know they aren't getting anything anyway. I do however sometimes give them a chopped carrot or two when they're very good.

haopee, Jul 10, 2012
  6. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No way. No dogs in the kitchen for me. Too dangerous for me and too dangerous for them.

Victor Leigh, Jul 10, 2012
  7. Jessi

pugskjj Well-Known Member

All of my girls are allowed in the kitchen and they are pretty good about not begging. There are times when they sit there and "talk" to remind me they are there, not barking just grumbling. There are even times that they beat me in there, such as when I ask them who wants to party? This is because they know this means they are getting their Frosty Paws and they wait for me at the freezer.

pugskjj, Jul 11, 2012
  8. Jessi

Pocs Well-Known Member

My dogs are allowed, but usually when I'm cooking it's their nap time so it's a win win. On the occasions they do end up in the kitchen with me, it's usually not a problem. One lays next to the back door, the other under the table. Very rarely have they been caught up under my feet. Neither one of them like to be caught up in "traffic", so they both check out the situation before entering any room.

Pocs, Aug 3, 2012
  9. Jessi

Olivia Gajadhar Member

For a while, that was the only place mine could stay. Anywhere else, and she'd get upset and chew objects that she shouldn't. The only problem is that she'd bark when we'd prepare dinner for her. There wasn't any patience on her part. So, we felt conflicted on what to do. My mother also has a tendency to feed the dogs before the rest of the family. I've heard that can contribute to dominance issues with dogs because they'll view themselves as the alphas. Could this be contributing to my dog's barking and lack of patience?

Olivia Gajadhar, Aug 8, 2012
  10. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I feel that dogs shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen...but my Homer doesn't care. It's his favorite place in the entire house and he sits there all the time. No one can be there alone;)
    Fortunately he is too small to reach the food. Usually, he just stares at the person who is cooking. If something falls down - a piece of vegetable or bread, he catches it immediately and runs away:p

claudine, Apr 10, 2013
  11. Jessi

Sounds like Homer is one smart cookie. If he makes a nuisance of himself, he would have been banned from the kitchen. This way he gets his snacks without any problem. It's good that he's too small to reach the top of the table. I would hate to imagine what happens if he is bigger and there's a pot of hot soup on the table.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
  12. Jessi

Yes, if the soup was very hot, it could be really dangerous, I prefer not to even think about it. This is why I always worry that he may try to get to the table in the dining room - he did it once:( . He jumped on a chair and from the chair he jumped on the table.

claudine, Apr 11, 2013
  13. Jessi

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

Ugh. This is a major problem for my puppy Paloma. She loves being under my mother's feet 100% of the time, so we are always tripping over her. We try to kick her out of the kitchen, but she just sits under the table. Her hair flies around a lot while we cook, and we're always pulling it out of our food when we've got it plated, so being in the kitchen is a big no-no.

DappleGrey, Apr 11, 2013
  14. Jessi

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

The does, though, like to wander around and sniff at the trashcan. Or, if she's allowed, will sit right in front of the stove just in case any goodies to "fall down" to her luck. :p It's pretty funny to hear my mom get completely frustrated over Paloma. She's always going "Paloma! Move!" because we have tripped over her several times. Fortunately, we haven't spilled any food!

DappleGrey, Apr 11, 2013
  15. Jessi

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

Pups is allowed in the kitchen. In the house in general and he knows how to behave himself :)

schizophreniatype, Apr 13, 2013
  16. Jessi

Then you must be doubly careful. If he can do it once, he can always do it again. If you can, ban him from the kitchen. If you can't, make sure all the chairs are pushed fully under the tables.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
  17. Jessi

I could ban him but he wouldn't care, when he wants to go somewhere, he goes there:eek: . But yes, I'm very, very careful. I never leave him alone with hot food - even when I'm pretty sure that it's beyond his reach. I prefer not to take any risk. He can act like a real acrobat when he sees something delicious.

claudine, Apr 15, 2013
  18. Jessi

Like a real acrobat? That would be interesting to watch.

I do know that Benjamas, my Poodle, thinks that she's a cat. She can actually climb wire fences. Going up to the top of the bookshelf is no big deal. She's slim and wiry. Smart, too. Her favorite trick is to run at me and take a flying leap into my arms. Then she climbs on my shoulder. From there, if I don't stop her, she goes up to the top of my head. She thinks that's a lot of fun.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  19. Jessi

Lol, this is adorable:D . Do you let her stay at the top of your head? It's strange that she isn't scared of falling down. I've never met a dog who would be able to climb wire fences - she is a more talented acrobat than my Homer:)

claudine, Apr 27, 2013
  20. Jessi

MzMonka Well-Known Member

My dogs aren't supposed to be in the kitchen but that doesn't really stop them. I have a baby gate I put up when I'm cooking cause all but 1 are tall enough to stand on their back legs and reach the counter. They know better but I rather not spend my time tripping over them.

MzMonka, Apr 28, 2013
Ask a Question