akita

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by irima, Mar 14, 2013.

1. irima

irima New Member

Hallo! Im interested about akita dog.Do you know where to find one?Also do you have any suggestion about behaviour and training?Thank you

irima, Mar 14, 2013
  2. irima

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Here's a link her that may be of some interest to you. I am totally unfamiliar with this breed but I'm sure some of our members may be.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/akita.htm

argon_0, Mar 15, 2013
  3. irima

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have never had an Akita nor have I met one in real life. However I had been reading up quite a bit on the breed. This is mainly because of the movie Hachiko which has an Akita as the main character.

From what I have read about the Akita, it doesn't seem to be a breed for people who are interested in a dog to play with, sort of like a Poodle or a Shih Tzu. Basically, Akita owners must be prepared to spend a lot of time outdoors with the dog to give it plenty of exercise. After all, the Akita is a working breed not a toy breed.

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. irima

haopee Well-Known Member

Also, Akitas are independent. And they can be good with families but not with strangers. But this doesn't mean they're not good-natured.

They're extremely courageous and loyal. Heck, they were bred to hunt bears.

If you're first time owner and would want an Akita, make sure you are willing to spend a good amount of time in training them as pups. Given that they're fearless, they can also become aggressive to other dogs. Nonetheless, they love human companionship.

haopee, Mar 19, 2013
  5. irima

zararina Well-Known Member

I am also not aware of Akita breed.
    Looking at the photos online, these dogs are cute.

zararina, Apr 5, 2013
  6. irima

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have looked at Akitas in the pictures. They look rather similar to Huskies. I suppose that's not too surprising since both breeds come from cold countries. What surprises me is how similar the Bangkeaw is to the Akita. This is because the Bangkeaw is definitely a tropical breed yet it has a double coat.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
  7. irima

mkhtk79 Member

Very dominant dog breed not for everyone. Only experienced owners.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question