Age and Gender Preference

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, May 14, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

A dog or a bitch, which do you prefer? And have you any age preference for the dog you’ll adopt or acquire?

King Browny, May 14, 2012
  2. King Browny

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm more inclined to picking females for my pack because they are easier to deal with. Power plays are less often encounter and rough housing with fellow "furblings" can be easily corrected- especially during mating season.

There's also the consideration that male dogs that shed fur, shed more profusely than female shedders. And then there's also territorial marking and heightened tension especially when they see a female in heat.

On the other hand, female dogs get pregnant and no responsible dog owner would want to bring unwanted puppies in this world.

haopee, May 14, 2012
  3. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

I actually prepare a puppy or even less than a year old.
    I believe that it could build up more trust and loyalty if you own a dog on its early age.

I prefer female dog but we now have a male dog since he was a stray dog that we had adopted before, so we cannot just "not adopt} him because he is a male dog.

zararina, May 14, 2012
  4. King Browny

kinser Well-Known Member

I got both of my dogs as puppies. i won't have another puppy again - it's way too much work, and way too much damage to the house. IF I were to ever get another dog, I'd go for one that is at least a year old (past the chewing stage, hopefully). I didn't really have a preference on sex with the first - he was just the puppy I liked the best. The second I didn't care either, but my husband wanted a male. One plus is that it's cheaper to neuter than to spay.

kinser, May 14, 2012
Ask a Question