Adopt. Don't Buy.

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by King Browny, Jul 26, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

TFT_20111207_cov_01.jpg

King Browny, Jul 26, 2012
    IcyBC and Johanna like this.
  2. King Browny

Yiddo Member

I am going to be adopting the next dog I get, rather then buy. I get a cute dog out of it, they get a new home and the people trying to get rid of it, get rid of the dog.

Yiddo, Apr 22, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  3. King Browny

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Absolutely, adoption is the key. Millions of dogs are euthanized because they are simply un-wanted. Terribly sad :(

MakingCents, Apr 26, 2013
    Johanna and shinminhee85 like this.
  4. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

That was right, Why spend money if you can simply find a lovely dog in the shelter that would want to love you forever. :D

zararina, Apr 30, 2013
    Johanna and shinminhee85 like this.
  5. King Browny

Lokitns Member

Don't breed or buy, while shelter dogs die! I'll never understand the fascination of "my dog is pure" sounds like something taught to the Hitler youth. I have a neighbor who actually said "I mean do I need to apologize for not buying my dog at a shelter? I payed top dollar for a top dog.". He hasn't trained his dog, he doesn't walk them on leashes (which I have begged him to do) and now he wants to breed his dog.. I don't get some people.

Lokitns, May 19, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  6. King Browny

Jezebella Member

I volunteer at a shelter so THANK YOU! I think the first thing to do is admit that mutts often escape the health problems that years of breeding in such a narrow group cause. Golden Retreivers suffer from cancer significantly more often than other breeds. German Shepards hips often go out. Chihuahuas often have nervous disorders. Give me a nice healthy mutt any day. Another point is that being purebred doesn't always save a dog from being rehomed. There are often purebred dogs in the shelter if that's your thing.

Jezebella, Jun 23, 2013
    Lokitns likes this.
  7. King Browny

Trellum Well-Known Member

Spending money on a dog no longer makes sense! At least not if you live in the US and Canada, where you can easily find a rescue dog :) It's harder in some countries of Europe tho, where you can't really see stray dogs, like for example Norway and the Netherlands.

Trellum, Mar 8, 2015
  8. King Browny

claudine Well-Known Member

I think I'd adopt a dog if I was allowed to keep pets in my apartment. Thinking about lonely dogs in shelters breaks my heart. I feel so sorry for them!
    My parents bought a Yorkshire Terrier, because they suffer from allergies. They couldn't adopt just any dog.

claudine, Apr 13, 2015
  9. King Browny

Johanna Well-Known Member

Mines Rescued

Johanna, Mar 28, 2016
  10. King Browny

Corzhens Well-Known Member

In connection with the adoption, we have noticed that in our street there were so many stray dogs. Yesterday I saw another group of puppies, that means it is a new family and those puppies would add to the number of stray dogs in our place. I wonder why the local government is not implementing the ordinance that stray dogs are subject to penalty.

As for the adoption, we never buy dogs and our 5 dogs, in all, were all gifts to us. We are actually discouraging the breeding of dogs because over population would lead to neglect.

Corzhens, Apr 1, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  11. King Browny

Johanna Well-Known Member

Not walking it? Report him

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
  12. King Browny

Lanie New Member

I agree 100% There are too many dogs out there that need a loving home. The dollar amount that you pay for a pet doesn't determine its value in terms of love and loyalty. I begin to question whether people are looking for a furry companion or a status symbol of how much cash they can fork out.

As for leaving the dogs unleashed I would suggest calling up a bylaw officer to investigate...anonymously of course as I'm sure you don't want bad blood in the neighborhood.:p

Lanie, May 2, 2016
  13. King Browny

IcyBC Well-Known Member

If the adoption law changes to make it easier then I would. We check in to this option before, but it didn't work out for us. Adoption still asked for $150 fee, and they also needed to exam the house inside and out plus it is a long process to wait. My dog was bought from Craigslist, and I also considered him as a rescue dog. Since he has half Pit Bull blood line, and was born in the neighborhood of dog fighting, I paid $75 dollars to take him away from that environment.

IcyBC, May 9, 2016
  14. King Browny

LaneAlf Member

I agree with this post so much. I think that sometimes a lot of people can think that there's more probabilities to have a cute dog if you buy them, but I think that it's not only about that, there's so many street dogs out there that can provide you a good company and unconditional love but they don't really have a change to do so... And at the end of the day that's the most beautiful feature of dogs. We need to start looking around us to find them.

LaneAlf, Aug 10, 2016
Ask a Question