About breeding laws.

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Sashimi, May 22, 2016.

1. Sashimi

Sashimi New Member

In light of a recent bill that was passed in an EU country, which states that no dog owner can sell the pups of their dog unless they are a fully licenced breeder, and that it is now forbidden to cut the end of the tail from hunter pups...
    What is your opinion on these laws?

Sashimi, May 22, 2016
  2. Sashimi

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think that is a good law to have and it will avoid the problem with many unwanted puppies, but to trace down who sells what is a big operation. I don't think they can cover it all, but with the law in order, it should help a bit.

We have so many backyard breeders here, and they all sell their puppies for big money just as a legitimate breeder would, including mixed pups!

IcyBC, May 29, 2016
  3. Sashimi

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I hope we have that law here. It looks like breeding is getting popular so some dog owners who don't even know anything about breeding have the mind to breed their dog for the money. It's really sad to see so many puppies that are neglected. Even in the wet market, there is a seller of puppies. The small puppies, about 2 months old are sold for 1,000 pesos (that's about $25). Go back after a month and the price goes down to #20 and that's the trend of the price until the puppy becomes a dog which would be sold for meat. Isn't it cruel?

If there is a law on the licensed breeders, only responsible breeders would be breeding dogs and the population can be controlled. One legit breeder gave us Epoy, our second dog. He breeds pekingese. But after some years, he quit breeding pekingese in order to control the population of the particular breed. Isn't that what breeders should do? Control the dog population.

Corzhens, May 29, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Sashimi

Trellum Well-Known Member

I like that law, and hope the rest of the EU countries follow it, because I don't agree with the fact that most people who own a dog think they can breed theirs til death. A licence should be needed, that way it would be easier to keep track of all the breeders and check they are indeed treating their dogs well.

Trellum, May 29, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. Sashimi

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Corzhens , backyard breeding has gotten way out of control this past decade, because there are plenty of people who are willing to pay for the puppies. Where I used to live before, when it is a mix breeds and a result of accident, the owner usually begged you to take one for FREE.

That all changed now, people are actually selling mixed pups at a very high price too, and they are all from backyard breeders.

IcyBC, Jun 4, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. Sashimi

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Yes, @IcyBC, it looks like pure bred dogs are having stiff competition with mixed breeds because the mixed breed puppies are more saleable. And they are available almost anywhere. In our market here, we live in the suburbs, there is a puppy vendor every weekend. His puppies are cute, the chubby ones that grow to be an ugly dog.

Here is the link to our article about illegal breeding that was published in Animal Scene Magazine - http://petizone.blogspot.com/2011/11/puppy-mills-in-boom.html

Corzhens, Jun 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. Sashimi

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that link! I would like to have that law for all breeders, not just pure bred! Some pure bred dog owners are not that responsible or follow the guidelines anyway. The money sign is always at the top of their list.

Everyone needs money to live, so I can't say that it's all on breeders; the BUYERS are to blame for the majority of it! THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY a high price, so the breeders produce to make money.

IcyBC, Jun 23, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  8. Sashimi

remnant Well-Known Member

I suppose regulation is indispensable. This will enable the authorities to keep tabs on unethical and unfair practices that victimise dogs including those outside the scope of breeding. In our country, there are no such laws because of the logistics of enforcement as well as the possibility of creating another stream of bribes paid to corrupt police officers.

remnant, Jun 23, 2016
Ask a Question