A vegetarian dog?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trishgl, Sep 15, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I've heard that some dog owners who are vegetarian are also converting their dog's lifestyle accordingly. I know that you can't do that with cats since they are "obligate carnivores" but dogs according to some experts can live off a balanced vegetarian diet with guidance from their vets of course. Would you make your dog eat vegetarian?

trishgl, Sep 15, 2013
  2. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

I've always been a vegetarian, in my opinion eating meat is wrong.
    Yet, I wouldn't force Homer to give up on it. I don't think that it would be healthy for him. It definitely wouldn't be natural.
    Also, he loves meat with all his heart. He would be unhappy if he couldn't eat it.

claudine, Sep 16, 2013
  3. trishgl

Lokitns Member

Forcing your ideals on a dog, which is from a bloodline that primarily kills to survive, doesn't seem fair to me. As a human processing cows and other animals for our food is wrong, however, dogs and their evolutionary cousins (wolves/coyotes) hunt everyday to survive. It's in their blood.

Lokitns, Sep 16, 2013
  4. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

In my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea to make a dog vegan. This is because dogs process proteins from plants differently. If I remember correctly, it's a lot slower than processing proteins from meat. Their ancestors used to be carnivorous so it just makes sense to keep dogs omnivorous rather than push them to be herbivores.

It's not that I want dogs to become strictly carnivores but I do expect that given their ancestral history, owners would consider their nutritional need partly coming from meat.

haopee, Sep 17, 2013
  5. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

I am not a vegetarian so definitely I would not need to also transform our dog to it. I used to have a dog that really loves to eat vegetables and fruits but still she eats meats.

zararina, Sep 17, 2013
  6. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves vegetables too, especially carrots, but if he has a choice, he always chooses meat. It's his favorite food. I'm pretty sure that he would eat it raw if I let him. Also, all dog foods that are available here contain meat.

claudine, Sep 18, 2013
Ask a Question