A stray dog and its seeing eye dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I found this story so touching. These two dogs were found roaming the streets and were taken to a shelter. The larger one is blind. The smaller one, his companion, his seeing eye dog.

The two were slated to be euthanized, but someone with a heart contacted a rescue organization. They are now trying to find a home that will take them both.

It amazes me how dogs develop these relationships. It's neat, isn't it?
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/bizarre&id=9037962

Melody, Mar 25, 2013
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh, it's a heartbreaking and heartwarming story at the same time. I hope that soon they'll find a loving home - both of them, it would be more than cruel to separate them:(

claudine, Mar 25, 2013
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

It is both of those things, Claudine. They seem to be well behaved so that should increase their chances of being adopted together.

I am intrigued at how stray dogs would form this kind of bond. The one would have to sense that the other is disabled in some way and needs help. Perhaps part of a pack instinct to protect the weaker (though this seems opposite of what they tell us about nature). Or, maybe because dogs seek companionship it was only natural they would hang out together.

Melody, Mar 26, 2013
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Aww, that is sweet. I'm so glad someone adopted both of them, too. To know that they were going to be euthanized is awful. It's definitely sweet to see how animals form these sorts of bonds on their own, though.

Jessi, Mar 26, 2013
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Right that it was a touching story and it is really amazing how dogs take care of each other. They really know how to share love and care to others.

zararina, Mar 26, 2013
Ask a Question