A question about breeder ethics

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by flycaster, Jul 11, 2016.

1. flycaster

flycaster Member

We recently got a puppy from a breeder who breeds quality canines (some big-time champions.) For us the puppy was to be our pet and not for breeding...we weren't looking for a show quality animal. So, obviously, we weren't interested in getting a champion to be our dog, but rather a good house pet to love. When we took the puppy to the vet for her post-purchase exam, the vet told us that the dog had an under bite. When we looked more closely at her mouth, indeed, there was the under bite. Our dog is maturing nicely and looks beautiful, but that underbite is quite noticeable. Certainly, we love her and have no regrets about having her, but I do have a question about the breeder's responsibility in that she should have told us about the underbite before we left with the puppy. Am I right or wrong, should we have been told and not let us find out at the time of the outside exam? Or, should we have been told even before we came for the dog? I know that we were told we could return the puppy within three days of purchase; but let me ask, who ever returns a puppy after you have it for even just one day? Certainly, it is possible that if we had been told early on about the underbite, we may not have accepted the dog and the breeder would have lost a sale...

flycaster, Jul 11, 2016
  2. flycaster

Becky Well-Known Member

I'm not very familiar with law in the USA, but it is my understanding that the breeder should make you aware of any genetic defects when you make the purchase. I guess it would depend where you are though as the law will vary from state to state. Whilst I'm guessing you wouldn't want to return your pet, you might be able to make a case for a partial refund...?

Becky, Jul 14, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. flycaster

Corzhens Well-Known Member

From what I understand with the underbite, it is the misalignment of teeth by the lower with the upper teeth. Am I right on this? I just looked it up in Google because underbite is alien to me. Anyway, I realize that our oldest dog Tisoy has an underbite since his lower teeth are protruding. Incidentally, tomorrow is Tisoy's 9th birthday.

I agree that when a puppy has a defect, you wouldn't have it replaced because it is not a commodity but a pet. And a pet is part of the family like an adopted child. For certified dog lovers like us, you wouldn't have the heart to return the puppy. Anyway, the only recourse left is for you to live with that puppy and I'm sure that underbite will not matter.

Corzhens, Jul 15, 2016
  4. flycaster

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Not all breeders will tell you the blunt truth, because money is the biggest motivation for what they do. My niece too, got her puppy, supposedly from a great breeder for a very high price, but the puppy turned out to have so many illness. She has tried to get in touch with the breeder many times, but to no vail. They seemed to vanish.

Her puppy also had a bad underbite! If I were you, I would do what @Becky suggested. At least get a partial of your payment back to help your puppy in the future!

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2016
  5. flycaster

remnant Well-Known Member

I suppose the underague should elicit sympathy on the part of a conscientious pet owner to cater for the unfortunate dog. However, this is not to tolerate the dishonesty of the pet owner and you should launch a complaint with the relevant authorities for due compensation.

remnant, Jul 27, 2016
Ask a Question