A Dog Named Psycho Saves His Family from a Rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

by Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell

[​IMG]

A dog named Psycho might have earned the name he was given this past week when he saved a little girl in his family from a striking rattlesnake.

The incident happened in the border town of Hueco Tanks, Texas when Maya Delarosa was making mud pies with her sister. “I hear a hiss and a rattle and I look down and there's a snake,” Maya told KTSM 9 News.

Luckily for the sisters, Maya’s grandmother’s ten pound Chihuahua-poodle mix, Psycho, came to their rescue, getting between the girls and the snake just before it struck.

The bite landed on Psycho’s eyelid instead of on the girls. "I love my little dog… I mean he saved her life,” Martha Rodriguez, Psycho’s mom, told KTSM reporters.

Venomous snake bites in small dogs can be very dangerous. However, Dr. Vickie Dashley treated Psycho with an anti-venom vaccine and it appears that Psycho, who is being a hailed a hero, is going to be ok.

"He's just got a lot of swelling around that eye. We won't know for sure until the swelling has gone down but we think the eye is going to be saveable (sic),” Dr. Dashley says.

Dogs in rattlesnake country can get a vaccine in advance of a bite. Dog parents should discuss the vaccine with their veterinarian if they feel their dogs might be suspect able to rattlesnake bites.

Editor’s Note: Photo of Psycho from the KTSM Facebook page.

Trellum, Mar 23, 2014
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

It is really amazing how our dogs are able to protect and love us unconditionally.
    Nice story and nice to know that everyone are okay. :)

zararina, Mar 24, 2014
  3. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Another great story, there are no shortage of dog heroes in the news today. I know from personal experience with my own dog how brave and loyal they are!

firelily99, Mar 25, 2014
  4. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah guys, the name is kinda ironic, but the actions of the dog aren't surprising at all! Dogs are the most grateful beings out there no doubt about it. That's why I love my dogs! Dogs are capable of many amazing things.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2014
Ask a Question