8 Best Dog Breeds for First Time Owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

by Jessica Remitz

[​IMG]

Papillon
    A small, friendly breed that’s a member of the toy family, the Papillon is known for it’s fine bone structure and beautiful, feathery ears. Happy and alert, Papillons are neither shy nor aggressive and can easily adapt to country and city live, said AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. An easy keeper, Papillions love to play outdoors but can be easily entertained and exercised indoors as well.

[​IMG]

Shih Tzu
    A wonderful companion with a lively and friendly attitude, Shih Tzus require minimal exercise and can easily spend most of their time indoors. With minimal exercise requirements, the breed’s long coat can be kept in a “puppy cut” to make maintenance easier for first-time owners.

Keeping your new companion on a consistent schedule will help with housebreaking and set a positive tone for training and spending time together.

“A consistent feeding and potty schedule will help with the housebreaking process,” Peterson said. “Bring your puppy outdoors on a leash to the same spot every time and take them outside in the morning, after a nap and after every feeding.”

[​IMG]

Whippet
    An obedient breed known for its ease in adapting to home life, the Whippet has a natural attachment to people and is happiest when kept as a house pet. Friendly to strangers and good-natured around children, Whippets are faithful, affectionate and easy to train. Known for their athleticism, the breed does require regular exercise and loves running in open, properly secured areas.

http://www.pet360.com/slideshow/dog...owners/1/Yn_EMxFQN0WO38_qTfNFIQ?extcid=yahshn

Trellum, Apr 16, 2014
  2. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Nice dogs, all good for the newbie owner. Still, I usually vote for the mutt; I have always had them and they all have been smart and personable dogs to have around.

firelily99, Apr 16, 2014
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I always thought that Shih Tzus aren't easy to take care of. This is a nice surprise:)
    As for Collies, my boyfriend had one when he was a kid. I didn't have the chance of meeting that dog, but I heard that he was very friendly, sweet and loving:)

claudine, May 1, 2014
  4. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

All those dog photos are so cute. :D
    Also for first time owner, I think it is better to adopt or bought a puppy than older ones. So that the attachment is stronger because you will take care of it as if a baby that needs attention.

zararina, May 1, 2014
Ask a Question