3 types of berries dogs can eat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Did you guys know that most berries are poisonous to dogs and cats? There are only 3 berries dogs and cats can eat:

http://www.naturipefarms.com/3-types-berries-dogs-can-eat/

Grapes are also highly toxic for dogs and cats. I find it interesting how Blueberries taste a lot like grapes sometimes :) So our canine friends are not really missing out.

Trellum, Jul 10, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I haven't tried giving Capone any berries since I knew that grapes are poisonous for dogs. These three berries that dog can eat are good news to me as it is now summer and these berries are very affordable and fresh. I gave him bit and pieces of apple and carrots. I have to be very careful when giving him new food as he has sensitive stomach.

Thanks for the link to that article! It is good to know blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are safe for treats!

IcyBC, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

This is scary, I had no idea that most berries are poisonous to dogs! I'm glad I've never shared my raspberries and grapes with Homer.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he likes strawberries and blueberries. My parents grow them in their garden and he always ignores them. Maybe he doesn't see them as food.

claudine, Jul 13, 2015
  4. Trellum

I'm glad you found this useful, Claudine. I had no idea most berries were poisonous either, I had my doubts about blackberries! I did know about grapes, they are also toxic to cats. I think the same thing can be said about those berries and cats. So many hidden dangers in an average home.

Trellum, Jul 13, 2015
  5. Trellum

You are welcome :) Yes, I posted this because I don't think many dog owners are very aware of this. It's amazing how sensitive and vulnerable our furred 4 legged pals are!

Trellum, Jul 13, 2015
  6. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Just an update, this past month our local fruits and vegetables market having a great price on blueberries, so I bought some and shared with Capone! OMG-he loves them. I don't give him a lot but more like 10 for me, and 1 for Capone :)

IcyBC, Sep 20, 2015
  7. Trellum

@IcyBC I am sure he was more than happy you decided to share with him! It feels so great you are indulging with your best friend, and he is not going to get sick as a result. I miss those blueberries :( They remind me of grapes a little bit, but they are oh so healthy!

Trellum, Sep 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I bet he thinks they're candies:)
    My Homer ate some blueberries this summer too. Of course he loved them:) He loves everything.

claudine, Sep 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
Ask a Question