100 years of selective breeding - how have we ruined some of the most majestic dog breeds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think this is something we should all be aware of, how we have changed dog breeds over the years! All thanks to selective breeding. It's amazing but some of those dogs look nothing like their ancestors 100 years back!

[​IMG]

Trellum, Sep 25, 2015
  2. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Wow..that is awful on how we have manipulated these breeds! I like all the original breeds as they looked so much better than what we have done to them. I like the original bull terrier; the dog looks fantastic and handsome.

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2015
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

This is so interesting. I had no idea those breeds have changed so much over the time. It's awful what we did to them:( I'm very curious what Yorkies looked like 100 years ago.

claudine, Sep 26, 2015
  4. Trellum

Becky Well-Known Member

Such a shame :( They all looked so much healthier before they were ruined by inbreeding!

Becky, Sep 28, 2015
  5. Trellum

It's amazing, Becky, but they were indeed ruined by all that selective breeding. It's horrible what they did to the bull dog and the basset hound and the Dachshund :( I think they thought those breeds would luck much better after some changes, so sad.

@claudine I think I got the answer, I found this:

[​IMG]

According to what I read this is what they looked like 200 years ago :O

Trellum, Oct 1, 2015
    Becky likes this.
  6. Trellum

@IcyBC I'm specially amazed at the bull terrier! How they could manage to get that skull to mutate so badly? All these years I thought that was how that dog had always looked like. I was so wrong! Those two don't even seem to be related at all! The original one was so handsome I agree, I had no idea how bad things were until I saw this... I used to think the bull terrier was so cute, but after seeing this.. I can't stop to think about that mutated skull :( Poor baby!

Trellum, Oct 1, 2015
  7. Trellum

Well, I'm not sure what to say!:) The dog in the picture looks really weird! To be honest, I think that Yorkies that live nowadays are much prettier:p

claudine, Oct 1, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. Trellum

@claudine Lol, but you gotta admit there is a resemblance :p I can see how yorkies took it from this ancestor :D and luckily became prettier and smaller over the years. Lucky them! I think yorkies are one of the few breeds that benefited from the selective breeding :D:D

Trellum, Oct 1, 2015
  9. Trellum

They definitely did:D Of course there is a resemblance, but the Yorkie in the picture had a very long body and really small ears. Homer's ears are much bigger.
    Also, I think that people who lived 200 years ago didn't know how to make Yorkie's hair look pretty:p

claudine, Oct 1, 2015
  10. Trellum

@claudine Yes, the body of that ancient yorkie is very long, but remember we can't be so sure that drawing is 100% exact, since a lot artists like to get a bit crazy and feel kind of free to make some ''small'' changes. The yorkies we have nowadays are just gorgeous compared to those bigger yorkies, lol. I wonder what they will look like in 200 years?

Trellum, Oct 4, 2015
  11. Trellum

Sure, that's true, it's just a drawing, not a photo. Maybe the person who drew it wasn't very talented, lol;) I'd love to be able to travel in time and meet the ancient Yorkie in person, it would be such an interesting experience:D
    I'm sure Yorkies in the future will be as cute as they are now. It's impossible to be cuter:D;)

claudine, Oct 5, 2015
  12. Trellum

@claudine I think the artist went a bit crazy with the length of the dog's torso :confused: You never know ;) Maybe the yorkies will be even smaller in the future ;) It seems that is what has been happening to a lot dog breeds. I personally find small breeds super cute, the smaller the better!

Trellum, Oct 5, 2015
  13. Trellum

I couldn't agree more! Small breeds are the cutest:D I think they're becoming so popular, because it's easy to take care of them, train them and feed them.
    I've always had a soft spot for tiny dogs:D

claudine, Oct 7, 2015
  14. Trellum

@claudine My aunt actually wants to get a little dog when her daughter leaves the house, so she doesn't feel lonely :) She doesn't like dogs to sleep indoors, but she said she is willing to let the little dog sleep indoors =D Plus she also said she thinks it's much easier to give a shower to a little dog than a bigger dog. Her current dog is a schnauzer, it's miniature, but not small enough for me! When my girl dies might get a little dog too :) Probably a yorkie or a maltese or maybe both :D

Trellum, Oct 7, 2015
  15. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I guess I have a house full of mixes except of the Rottie.I wonder how much they have changed. This is all education for me. I never really paid a lot of attention to breeding until I joined the forum. I just knew there were dogs of several breeds and mixes.

Winterybella, Oct 9, 2015
  16. Trellum

@Winterybella I understand you, I had no idea about this either until I joined, I mean, to me a bull terrier has always looked like that, hahaha. I had no idea the poor thing had a mutated skull! Poor thing!

Trellum, Oct 15, 2015
  17. Trellum

That's wonderful!:D Malteses are very cute, but I think that Yorkies are the cutest little things. I'd choose a Yorkie:D
    Tell your aunt that bathing a small dog isn't as easy as it seems to be;) My Homer bites, growls and barks whenever I try to take him to the bathroom, lol:p

claudine, Oct 18, 2015
  18. Trellum

Why not take both then ;) If I could I'd do that, I just love small dogs and I thin they can fit anywhere :) I mean, how tough can it be to have two little dog in a medium sized house? They are so tiny! I will tell her, I hope her dog doesn't bite D:

Trellum, Oct 18, 2015
  19. Trellum

I hope so too:) Homer always bites me when I try to bathe him:confused:

I'd love to have both a Maltese and a Yorkie, but I don't think I could take care of two dogs. Homer wants all my attention;) He's extremely jealous.

claudine, Oct 22, 2015
  20. Trellum

Is there a chance he might be living with you anytime soon? I mean, if you and your boyfriend find an apartment that is ok with small dogs, do you think your dad would be ok with you taking homer live with you? I ask because it sounds like both of you should be together :)

Trellum, Oct 22, 2015
Ask a Question